If you have been on the Match.com dating site for some time, there will be some matches who will make advances. While this is a good thing, sometimes the party making the advances does not meet our expectations in terms of factors like age, location, personality, or that feeling of ‘this is just not the person I’m looking for’. What to do? It could be as simple as ignoring the advances or blocking the interested party. While that is the easier route, it is not the best way to go about it.
What you should not do to an interested match:
• Don’t explain what you don’t like about the match: It is really ok not to like a person, but it is really deflating if you have to explain why by listing what you think is wrong with that person. Try something like this instead: ‘thank you for the interest, but it does not seem like we really match. You seem like a nice person, and you will surely find someone….’
• Don’t be rude: while it is perfectly normal not to fall for someone who thinks you are the one they have been looking for, it will gain you nothing to be rude. You just might make the person think that is what you really are like and it is a good thing you declined their advances
• Don’t be abusive: this is absolutely unnecessary. It will gain you absolutely nothing besides making you feel cheap and vain after that.
Video Source: Match.com Promo Code 2015 – Save Big! from Youtube
What you should do to an interested match:
• Be understanding: this just another lonely heart like you looking for a match. Put yourself in his or her shoes and imagine if the situation was the other way round. How would you like to be declined? Do what is right.
• Be respectful: it does not hurt to be respectful to anybody. It makes you a better man or woman whether online or offline. Trying to sound too good for him or her does nobody any good. It might have just exposed how disrespectful you really are in real life, and how you don’t match in the ‘respect’ department, and that is not what you are.
• A little gentleness and encouragement go a long way: there is no easy way of declining the advances of someone who really fancies you. This being the case, it does not mean that you shouldn’t try to be gentle. While a man might take it on the chin and move on, a woman might take the hit badly. If you are a man, be the gentleman that you know you are and decline gently and throw in a good word or two about what you think is good about her while encouraging her to continue hunting.
It will happen at one time or other, but your match need not feel inadequate because of how you declined his or her advances; do the right thing.